Saturday, January 10, 2009

Latest News...

Hello there...just thought I'd give everyone an update. We went to the doctor on Monday. Now we are starting weekly check-ups, but the exciting news was that on Monday we found out that I'm group B strep negative. For those of you that don't know what that means, a lot of women have a mild infection in the "birth canal" that can somehow be harmful to the baby. If you are positive for the infection then you have to have IV antibiotics during labor. This is annoying because it basically means you are not as free to roam during the early stages of labor and pretty much have to stay in bed (which seems to make contractions more uncomfortable). Thankfully I don't have to have IV medicine so I can be more active and hopefully more comfortable. Also... we found out that I am 2cm dilated and 70% effaced. So for those "innocent" people out there, that means that my cervix (which the baby has to pass through on its way out) has opened up 2cm (has to open to 10cm before baby is born) and that it has thinned out by 70%. Although this doesn't necessarily mean that I'm going to be going into labor in the next few days, it hopefully means that when I do go into labor I'll basically have a head start and perhaps my labor won't be quite as long!!!

Just in case, we've gone ahead and packed our hospital bags in preparation. I hate trying to pack for trips and always feel like I'm forgetting something if I wait until the last minute. So I figured that I should get it done early. We even have the baby's bag packed. All we have to do now is pack a bag of snacks for Jess while he is coaching me through labor and finish our "birth plan".

We are almost there!!! Can't wait to share our bundle of joy with all of you.

Hopefully I'll be putting more pictures up soon.

1 comment:

Beck said...

thanks for all the encouragement! I'm so glad we're friends!